This blog reflects my opinions and does not reflect the opinions of the US Government or the Peace Corps

Thursday, July 1, 2010

My New Home!

I found out my site!!!!! I will be living in an aldea (very small town) named Pet outside the municipality of Santa Eulalia in the department of Huehuetenango (pronounced way-way-tay-nahn-go). I tried to mark more or less where it is on the map below but it is so small it’s not on too many maps. I also put a red dot on where I have been living for the past 3 months in San Luis Las Carretas.



It wasn’t a big surprise that I got assigned to Huehue because I wanted a cold site and now I will be living at about 11,000ft in the mountains. I also said I don’t mind going without water and electricity and I love to hike and walk long distances. I got what I asked for! The site is VERY very rural! By public transport it takes at least 10 hours to get there. I will definitely have plenty of alone time to do some serious soul searching. I am really excited about my site but I am also bummed because all of my very close friends here got placed in El Quiché. They are really close to each other, and well, I am not even on the radar. I’m actually closer to Mexico than I am to them. However, I feel like I will definitely be getting the “Peace Corps Experience.” While living in Pet I will work at the Health Post, which is smaller than a health center. Other than that I do not know too much else. I am excited to get out there and work.

On Sunday I will pack up the majority of my things and travel first to Xela for a night to meet my counterpart and then on Monday out to my site. I will spend all of next week at my site alone getting to know my health post, my counterpart and my new home.

I cannot believe how fast time has gone during training. It has almost been 3 months but I still feel like I just got off the plane yesterday. I hope my Spanish is up to par and I hope I am welcomed in the community. It will be very sad to say good-bye to my host family and to my friends but I am ready for something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment